Homemade Feminine Hygiene Kit for a Girl Overseas
This is Kristin’s absolute fave org, and we’re not far behind. There’s roughly five million scholarly articles on how empowering women is the number one thing we can do to fix the world, and specifically through education on reproduction and their bodies. Seriously. Google it. Want to actually fix a ton of those world peace issues? Pull out your sewing machine and make some pads, ladies.
Organization: Days for Girls
What if not having sanitary supplies meant DAYS without school? Days of isolation? Girls use leaves, mattress stuffing, newspaper, corn husks, rocks, anything they can find…but still miss up to 2 months of education and opportunity every year. It turns out this issue is a surprising but instrumental key to social change for women all over the world.
The Days for Girls (DfG) kit design is the result of feedback from women all over the world. Listening is an approach that results in solutions that work. That’s important, because every washable Feminine Hygiene Kit gives back up to 6 months of living in just 3 years of use.* That’s 180 days of education, health, safety and dignity.
Make a kit that lasts THREE YEARS! You’re going to need to go to the Days for Girls Website and confirm that you’re not a weirdo by filling out the form here. Totally worth it, people (see above about that whole world peace thing). Then you’ll have access to all of the patterns needed to make this kit, but for the overview, here you go. Want to see a sample Kit? Go Here.
- Drawstring bag so she can carry her bag to school. Comfort, style and durability matter because this will be an accessory of hers for up to 3 years
- 2 one-gallon size Ziploc freezer bags Effective for transporting soiled items and soaking and laundering items with very little water. Why Ziploc brand freezer bags? They are most durable. (Non -slider please)
- 8 Absorbent Tri-Fold Pads Soft flannel liners are super absorbent when folded in three and can be layered for extra coverage. Unfolded they are square so they dry fast and wash with very little water, AND girls can dry them without risking taboos.
- 2 Moisture barrier shields These hold liners comfortably in place while stopping leaks. Pre-loaded with one liner in one shield and 2 in the other to show she can adjust to her flow needs.
- 2 pairs of panties (Girls’ size 10 – 14)
- 1 visual instruction sheet (Download file to print here)
1 Travel-sized Soap Travel-sized to save transport weight. Distributing orgs can provide additional soap access in-country.
Check out our super fab Shopping Guide to easily buy all of the items you’ll need!
Pop it all into a box and mail it off to:
Days for Girls
1610 Grover Street Suite B-22
Lynden, WA 98264
If you need more information, please contact Days for Girls at email@example.com