Give Garden Produce to The Hungry.
Can we just say Garden Giving Party??? Break out the tea set, get your gals to wear some big fab hats, and help solve world hunger. So basically we have this issue of people not having food. Look at the ladies at your party – count around the room aaaannnddd….yep, #9 doesn’t have enough food to live. That’s right, one in NINE people in the world. You can solve that prob for that one person. How can you do that? We’ve got all of the deets below…
Organization: Ample Harvest
Here’s what Ample Harvest says: Two Problems: 1) Food pantries nationwide desperately need fresh food. 2) Many gardeners grow excess garden produce that goes to waste. One Solution: Ample Harvest helps 42 million home and community gardeners nationwide to end food waste by enabling them to donate their excess garden produce to a local food pantry. Established in May 2009, Ample Harvest has both a free iPhone app and now connects you, oh gardener, to over 7,000 food pantries so you can find the one closest to you.
- Step One: Plan out your Garden. Plan it bigger than you have in the past, bc your peeps are going to love picking some for others. Never done this before? Check out how to plan a garden with this app (seriously, all you gardeners will love this); I LOVE square foot gardening, so I recommend this. Don’t have room for a garden? Find a community garden here.
- Step Two: Go buy your seeds – Amazon seriously makes it so easy. And make sure you have some really fluffy and fab composted peat to feed them all up.
- Step Three: Water and Wait and, if you’re like Frog and Toad, Sing.
- Step Four: Throw a Garden Giving Party and harvest those beauties. Find a local food pantry and drive you and your ladies to drop off all of those tomatoes. And radishes. And cucumbers. Bc holy cow, those take over.
- Step Five: Wash, Rinse, and Repeat. Now you, my lady friend, have made some amazing waves. Watch for the ripples.
Aina. We do the research. You change the world.