Stop Window Strikes and Save Some Feathered Friends.
We all start to swoon and bust out the garden gear as our feathered friends start heading back to neighborhoods and communities. Let’s make sure we take care of these little rays of sunshine. Fact o the week: 988 million birds are killed each year in the United States when they hit windows, making this threat one of the most costly to bird populations. So guess what? You can do something to make a major difference in that! It’s so easy and fun, too. How can you do that? We’ve got all of the deets below…
Organization: American Bird Conservancy
Yep, these people love birds. They believe unequivocally that conserving birds and their habitats benefits all other species — including people. Their four-pronged approach includes work to halt extinction, conserve habitats, eliminate threats, and build capacity (that’s education) for saving the birds. Since the world spends trillions of dollars over the past three years to figure out the endangered species issues, we feel like these peeps are a good investment option. So is your part in it.
- You’ve got so many options for this one! Basically the American Bird Conservancy has spent the past six years researching the best products to prevent bird strikes, so now you have a bunch of options for every budget.
- Option 1: ABC Bird Tape. Super easy – just tape blocks on your window. Easy to install, long-lasting and affordable, ABC BirdTape is highly effective when installed as recommended. This translucent tape allows light in, but partially obscures views. Lasts at least four years when installed on the exterior surface of a window. Full deets and order here (it’s only $3 per window!).
- Option 2: Acopian Window Blinds (read: Vertical Blinds with flair). These “Zen Curtains” are easy to install, long lasting and highly effective. Only $24/window, also a cheap option. Get the deets here.
- Option 3: Collidescape. This is my fave. This window film creates a solid appearance from the outside, but allows views from the inside and can reduce glare and cooling costs while protecting birds. Do it yourself or have professionally installed. Available in black, white, or custom patterns. It’s more expensive – $36/window – but it’s worth not having the awful sinking feeling when you hear a whack on your window, and it’s very unobtrusive. Deets here!
- Feather-Friendly Adhesive Dots! These adhesive dots applied to the outside of your windows create an effective “frit” pattern. Do-it-yourself or have professionally installed. Check it out.
- Solid Bird Safety Film. This external film is available in horizontal and vertical stripes. Both have proven highly effective in the field. This product may require professional installation. Get it here.
- Window Alert Decals. These UV-reflecting decals have proven effective when applied according to specifications. Decals are minimally visible to people under ordinary conditions. Window Alert™ decals should be replaced every 12-18 months for maximum effectiveness, and are $28/window. Buy them here.