Create a Summer Kit for Syrian Refugees.
Obvi going through official channels isn’t changing the situation for Syrian Refugees fast enough; fortunately, we’ve found a path around bureaucracy for you. Because, peeps, you’re pretty bad-ass and you have amazing love to spread in your own way. Dig in. This giving project is perfect for an individual or as a Giving Party – have each of your friends buy/donate one of the items below, and you can all get together to assemble these special packages of love.
Organization: Starfish Foundation
A young girl was walking along a beach upon which thousands of starfish had been washed up during a terrible storm. When she came to each starfish, she would pick it up, and throw it back into the ocean. People watched her with amusement.
She had been doing this for some time when a man approached her and said, “Little girl, why are you doing this? Look at this beach! You can’t save all these starfish. You can’t begin to make a difference!”
The girl seemed crushed, suddenly deflated. But after a few moments, she bent down, picked up another starfish, and hurled it as far as she could into the ocean. Then she looked up at the man and replied, “Well, I made a difference to that one!”
The old man looked at the girl inquisitively and thought about what she had done and said. Inspired, he joined the little girl in throwing starfish back into the sea. Soon others joined and all the starfish were saved.
– Adapted from The Star Thrower by Loren C. Eiseley
And that’s what it’s all about, people. Starfish Foundation started by one woman to help refugees arriving on the island of Lesvos, Greece; this grassroots effort recently changed into Starfish, a registered NGO, whose aim is to help everyone arriving in Lesvos and to give the best welcome to Europe possible to the people who come by boat.
- Here are all of their immediate needs for this Summer:
- SUMMER SANDALS
- Children (sizes 20 to 35)
- Women (sizes 36 to 40)
- Men (sizes 40 to 45)
- SUMMER HATS/CAPS for men, women and children
- NEW UNDERWEAR for men, women, and children (please NO boxer shorts for men: briefs only)
- LIGHT TROUSERS (mens’ sizes S and M only)
- SHORTS (Mens’ Bermuda and knee-length, sizes S and M only)
- LIGHT SOCKS (adult unisex)
- SUNSCREEN AND NON-TOXIC MOSQUITO REPELLENT
- And don’t forget to add your own Giving Card, too – that way you can connect with that Syrian Refugee you helped (yep, most of em are on FB).
- Secure the bag and pack it in a box. Secure the box with packing tape.
- IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO WRITE ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE BOX THE CONTENTS/KIT WITHIN. This helps staff to distribute and organize supplies efficiently.
- Starfish Foundation cannot pay for import tax over packages that are sent from outside the Schengen Area. Please ensure that you pay for taxes ahead of shipping.
- Please contact Starfish Foundation if you intend to ship more than 5 boxes at once, so they can make sure they’ll be ready to receive and store your items.
- Pop it all into a box and mail it off to:
Hellenic Post Office of Kalloni
C/o Starfish Foundation
81107 Kalloni, Lesvos